Nelson College PTA
The Nelson College PTA is a an enthusiastic group that meets regularly to foster a close relationship between school and home.
The objective of the PTA is to secure the support of parents as a body for everything that will beneficially influence the welfare and progress of the students and the College.
- All parents and College staff are eligible to become members. If you would like to join please attend one of our meetings or contact the Chairperson.
- Other persons interested in the College may become members at the discretion of the committee.
PTA Committee 2019
Chairperson – Janine Pomeroy
Secretary -Jemima Jones
Treasurer – Claire Hughes
Uniform Shop representative – Paula Smith
Staff Representative – Diane Garside
College Management representative – Ron Kelly and Brian Hore
Board of Trustee representative – Deleece Plumpton
Old Boys Representative: Paul Sturrock
Trust Foundation Representatives – Claire Hughes and Janine Pomeroy
General Committee Members: Steve Kelso, Di Lowe, Euan McIntosh
Meetings and Events
PTA meetings are held twice a term in the college staffroom (on Mondays in week 2 and week 8) starting at 6.30pm. Week 2 is a standard administrative meeting and week 8 an information evening designed to both entertain and inform parents and the wider school community on topics that are relevant and current. Check the school calendar and “follow” the PTA Facebook Page for dates of upcoming meetings.
All parents are encouraged to come along, meet other parents and learn about what’s going on at the school. There are several social functions during the year including the annual PTA Quiz night fundraiser. A lot of fun is had by all!
Meeting dates for the rest of 2019 are:
- Monday 9 September
- Monday 21 October
- Monday 2 December
Support From the PTA
The profit from the PTA uniform shop produces most of the PTA’s funding. This money plus other profits from fund-raising activities is distributed to:
- Students – this includes teams and/or individuals who represent the College in a wide range of activities both nationally and internationally.
- College – this money provides extra classroom equipment to enhance learning, sports equipment and other items that improve the school surroundings for students and staff.
- Spirit of New Zealand scholarships – commencing 2019 the PTA are fully funding berths on the 10 Day Adventure Program sailings for 2 senior students (one to be appointed by the College and the other will be allocated by ballot). Learn more here (https://www.nelsoncollege.school.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/PTA-Scholarship-programe-Overview.pdf). Entry forms are available here (https://www.nelsoncollege.school.nz/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/PTA-Scholarship-Brochure.pdf).
Applications for financial assistance from the PTA need to be made to the College Management Team.
For any inquiries, please contact Janine Pomeroy