The first meeting of the Association was held on 17 October, 1894. At the time, rules were adopted and formalities carried out, but little was done in the way of holding meetings or arranging activities. When the secretary left Nelson, the Association went into recess and virtually ceased to exist.
The Association was revived in 1902 with current staff at the time taking a lead role. In accordance with its constitution and rules, the two chief objectives of the Association were:
- To help the college
- To provide a link between old Boys and their school.
These objectives are still relevant today.
Historical records provide interesting reading as to early activities of the Association.
- 1906 – Jubilee celebrations for the 50th Anniversary of the College
- 1908 – Formation of Old Boys’ Football and Cricket Club
- 1909 – Association provided £40 for the purchase of a horse roller and mower
- 1915 – Old Boys raised £103 for the building of Fives Courts
- 1923 – Old Boys subscribed half the cost of purchasing the Vanguard Street playing fields (later known as the Broads)
- 1924 – War Memorial Scriptorium opened
- 1930 – £400 raised to repair the Scriptorium damaged by the 1929 Earthquake
- 1936 – £347 subscribed to purchase the portrait of Lord Rutherford
- 1955-56 – £5200 raised by Old Boys to purchase the Pipe Organ for the College hall, while the Association also provided over £6000 to rebuild the Scriptorium on its current site
- 2006 – 150th Jubilee