As a community we have taken a range of actions and are planning more in response to this ghastly event in Christchurch on Friday 15 March. Mr O’Shea has emailed all parents (link to this). A student led assembly will also address this matter and we have other student led initiatives in the pipeline.
A note from the counsellors;
- Parents, care givers and students, it is our advice that we all discourage the viewing or sharing of graphic video footage of the barbaric events in Christchurch. It may be illegal to share them and viewing them damages us and serves to endorse his actions and motives.
- This fourfold approach was provided to teachers this morning. It may be useful at home too.
- Acknowledge what has happened
- Say what our / your position is on this
- Attend to practical every day ‘normal matters’. Routines, expectations, work, sport, cultural, family/whanau, bed times, meals etc.
- Look to our/their/your preferred future. Projects, weekends, games, friends, holidays, school, or out of school achievements.
These links may provide some helpful for you at this time.
‘1737’ A free Govt sponsored Counselling line https://1737.org.nz/
As always, we welcome any student to come and see us, or if parents have any concerns please contact us as below.
Simon Field (03) 548 3099 (ext 848) email@example.com
Heledd Restall (03) 548 3099 (ext 716) firstname.lastname@example.org