Wed 12 August: Nelson College is open for tuition. Nelson region now in Alert Level 2.
(Wednesday 12 August 2020)
Further to this morning’s email, below is an update of the situation for schools and students outside of Auckland. This is based on the latest instructions from the Ministry of Education.
- All of New Zealand, outside of Auckland, went into Alert Level 2 at 12.00pm on Wednesday 12th August.
- At Alert Level 2 it is safe for all students, children and staff to attend school. There will be appropriate precautions in place.
- Children and staff who are at higher-risk of severe illness are encouraged to take additional precautions when leaving home.
- Please be alert to illness. Please keep your child(ren) at home if they seem unwell. The college will monitor students at school and contact you to come and pick your child up if they present unwell at school.
- Masks may be worn, but are not required at schools and early learning services at Alert levels 2 and 3.
- Routines such as good hand hygiene and cough and sneeze etiquette are important and will reinforced to students. Soap and water is very appropriate for washing hands. We continue to provide hand sanitizer at school, and are checking today that all bottles are in place and filled.
- Classes continue at normal, with students encouraged to keep distance from each other where possible and practical. There is no specific requirement at Alert Level 2 for students to socially distance at school. For this reason, the college will not run large events such as full school assemblies.
- Other events such as the Course Selection Evening have been postponed. We will keep you updated on this.
- Sports and co-curricular events continue for now, though supporters may not be able to attend. Again, we will provide information on this as we know more.
- All visitors to the school must first report to reception and sign in. We have the NZ COVID tracer app QR code posters on display for people to use.
- The school hostels will continue to operate for boarders with increased hygiene protocols to ensure students’ and staff wellbeing. We will communicate separately with hostel parents with regard to the hostel.