As New Zealand’s oldest state school, Nelson College offers the very best in boarding. Come and hear about some life-changing opportunities for your son, meet key staff and see all the facilities.
- Welcoming family environment
- High-level academic & leadership programmes with tutor support
- 35 different sports options
- Outdoor activities across the region
- Competitive rates & no school fees
Open Day – Saturday 7th August, 10.00am – 12.30pm
Experience Nelson College: The school in action for families/ whānau to observe and participate in. This is open to all day and boarding prospective applicants.
Orientation Day and Boarding Sleepover – Friday 19th November
Year 8 boarding students enrolled for 2022 will be invited to spend the day at Nelson College for testing and activities, then a sleepover in their future boarding houses. Further information will be emailed directly to you after your enrolment is received.
If you are unable to attend the open day and would like information please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Monday 15th Feb – Covid Updates for our boarding Community
If New Zealand moves to L3/4 again in the future, then Nelson College Boarding will resume its original boarding bubble. Domestic boarders will not be accommodated at this time and these boys will be required to return home.
Monday 15th February 2021
- Nelson College Boarding Precautionary Measures – Level 2
- Our boarders & staff operate as one boarding community and everyone else who visits boarding is a visitor
- No mass gatherings that include ‘visitors’
- Encouragement of boys to keep out of each other’s breathing and touch space, within in our boarding community & to practise wider physical distancing with those outside of our boarding community
- Parents dropping their boys off are asked to be vigilant in using the visitor’s book and to keep a physical distance from staff & other boarders
- Boarders who visit with friends during the day will be asked to complete additional leave information to assist contact tracing, should it be needed
- Overnight weekend leave for boarders to stay with friends will be closely monitored
- Contact Tracing Registers for visitors at both houses, the san and the dining room
- Heightened hygiene measures, and in particular before eating, after playing sport & when re-entering to the house
- Heightened cleaning in all boarding facilities
- Reduced threshold for determining if a boarder is generally unwell
- Boys who present with COVID-like symptoms will be assessed, isolated, tested and sent home where practical
- Staff who become unwell will stay home & be tested – supervisors, cleaners, nurses & dining room staff
- Discipline consequences for deliberate L2 breaches
- Regular review by staff of boarding COVID practices
- Continuing to follow all MOE/MOH guidelines
It is also a timely reminder to ask you to update Sandra, our Boarding Administrator email@example.com with any of your changed contact details.
2021 Events Schedule
Monday 1st February: Students arrive
Tuesday 2nd February: School Year begins
Sunday 14th March: Summer Sports Weekend (included parent teacher interviews)
Saturday 8th May: Boarding Open Day
Friday 20th August: Winter Boarding Catchup (included parent teacher interviews)
Wednesday 20th October: Boarding Sports Trip
Tuesday 26th October: Old Man’s Supper
Friday 19th November: Boarding New Entrant Testing and Sleepover