Kia ora koutou
Results of the Nelson College Education Review office visit in September (attached confirmed report)
Nelson College was last reviewed in 2012, at the time we received a 4-5 year next review cycle and became the only Top of the South High school to receive that accolade. (approx. 75% of schools are reviewed every 3 years and around 10% of schools who are are reviewed every 1-2 years.)
I can confirm that we have repeated that high level of performance review and have been accorded another 4-5 year review in the latest report.
This means that we will not be reviewed again until 2020/2021.
A repeat 4-5 year review cycle is a powerful endorsement of the high quality education offered by the College and along with Marlborough Girls College we are the only Top of the South/West Coast High schools currently with this accolade.
Please note that overall a school must meet the following criteria in order to achieve a 4-5 year review cycle.
Overall, the school will convincingly demonstrate that:
- learners experience a coherent and rich curriculum that provides them with relevant choices and pathways and supports their successful transition through schooling and on to further education and training
- learners are actively engaged in their learning, and are progressing and achieving very well; and the progress of priority groups of learners is being accelerated
- Māori learners are actively engaged in their learning, progressing and achieving very well and succeeding as Māori
- there is a well-sustained culture of high expectations for students and staff
- a school-wide culture of rigorous critical reflection and self-review contributes effectively to sustaining the school’s positive performance and continuous improvement
- leadership is highly effective and strategic, and is consistently improving student learning and achievement
- teaching consistently demonstrates high quality practices, makes very good use of student achievement information, and is highly effective in promoting outcomes for learners
- the school has taken all reasonable steps to provide a safe and inclusive environment
- governance is highly effective in self review, direction setting, decision-making and ensuring school accountabilities are met
- the school is highly effective in engaging the community in partnerships for learning and in the life of the school.”
Nga mihi nui